Life-style Desk: A pumpkin is a cultivar of the squash plant, most commonly of Cucurbita pepo, that is round, with smooth, slightly ribbed skin and deep yellow to orange coloration. Here is the sweet sour pumpkin recipe:
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
• 2 cups pumpkin/kaddu or petha
• 1 tsp cumin/jeera
• ¼ tsp roasted cumin powder/bhuna jeera powder
• ¼ tsp black pepper/kali mirch powder
• ½ tsp dry mango powder/amchur or as required ( i add ½ tsp as i am using a really strong organic amchur powder. add as required depending on the quality of the amchur powder)
• 1 tbsp peanut oil/mungphali ka tel
• 1 to 2 tsp sugar or as required
• rock salt or sendha namak as required
1. rinse, peel and chop the pumpkin.
2. heat oil in a pan.
3. crackle the cumin seeds first.
4. add the pumpkin, sugar and salt.
5. stir and cover the pan and simmer the pumpkin pieces till they are softened.
6. there is no need to add water as the pumpkin will get cooked by its own juices.
7. in case the water dries up, then add about 2-3 tbsp water and cook the pumpkin.
8. keep on checking at intervals and if the water continues to dry, then add a few tbsp water again.
9. the pumpkin should not get mushy.
10. add the mango powder and simmer for a minute.
11. lastly season with roasted cumin powder and black pepper powder.
12. garnish with coriander leaves and serve the khatta meetha kaddu with kuttu ki roti, amaranth pooris or singhare ki poori.