A total of 2,153 Bangladeshi nationals have returned home from Maldives amid Corona virus pandemic, according to information from the National Emergency Operating Center of the Maldives government.
Chinese News agency Xinhua from Male reported that an eighth COVID-19 patient died in the Maldives on Saturday and it was declared by the Health Protection Agency (HPA).
In a tweet on its official Twitter account, the HPA said that a 38-year-old Bangladeshi patient who was taken to the Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital (IGMH) in critical condition passed away on Saturday morning.
With the latest death, four out of eight deaths are of Bangladeshi nationals. A total of 1,018 Bangladeshi nationals have contracted COVID-19 in the Maldives, making up 54 percent of all the confirmed cases in the country.
The Maldives hosts a large community of around 100,000 Bangladeshi migrant workers who have been vulnerable to infection due to poor housing conditions.
The National Emergency Operating Center (NEOC) informed that the Maldives government has repatriated 2,153 Bangladeshi nationals so far.
The Maldives has had 1,883 confirmed cases of COVID-19 so far, out of whom 716 have made full recoveries.
The statistics at the Bureau of Manpower, Employment and Training showed that 9224 Bangladeshi workers have migrated to Maldives with jobs in 2019.
BMET officials, however, said that there were huge number of Bangladeshi workers were jobless and also undocumented in Maldives.